Search This Blog

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

How to be successful as an artist (I hope)

After doing a lot of reading this week, I've concluded that there are really two ways to become a successful artist.

1. Find a technique that you love.
2. Paint subjects that you love.

No wait, let's make that three.

3. Sit down and do it!

As for me, I've always loved the ease and flow I've felt when creating with pen and ink and watercolor. Watercolor is by far my favorite medium, but when I used it with pen and ink, I find there is a freshness to the watercolor that I can't seem to recreate when using it on its own. Therefore, my newest portfolio pieces are going to focus on this medium, because I feel it will show my strengths the best. When I start my self promotion, I want to have twelve very strong pieces that best show my abilities.

Another thing I need to work on is my confidence. :-)

And by the way, I read this great quote in Artists' and Graphic Designers Market:

"Until you try, the answer will always be 'no' ". 

So, are you willing to withstand the many "no's" that you will get in response in order to get that one possible yes?

I AM.

1 comment:

  1. I love, love, LOVE this new painting... its beautiful. I want it!!! a lot! Two sisters out berry picking... its adorable. I wish I had some place in my house to actually PUT it. i am so out of room. i love it!! can you make it in greeting card size or something? 5x7?

    ReplyDelete